There’s a diet that you may not have heard about yet that can actually help you feel happier. Did you know this? The diet is called the Dopamine Diet. Dopamine is one of the neurotransmitters in the brain. It has a lot of different functions, and one of them is to give you the feeling of pleasure.
Dopamine is the neurotransmitter that most drug addicts know well, because when they take street drugs, they feel the rush of dopamine in their body. The big problem is that when the body is continually receiving the street drugs, the brain’s receptors can’t recognize the dopamine anymore. This is what makes the addict keep going for greater and greater amounts of drugs. However, you can increase your own body’s production of dopamine and stay happier more of the time, even if you’re a diabetic.
Foods That Can’t Help But Make You Happy
The solution is knowing what foods help you increase the dopamine via the amino acid called tyrosine. These foods are high in tyrosine.
Here’s a list of some of the foods that do exactly that:
- Mustard greens
- Wheat germ
- Fava beans
- Dark chocolate
Meals That Make You Happy
So let’s create some meals around these foods – and make you happier!
- Breakfast: Oatmeal with wheat germ, milk, eggs, and fruit.
- Lunch: Chicken breast on top of salad with walnuts, tomatoes, bok choy, swiss chard, fennel, wheat germ, vinegar & oil dressing, and dark chocolate dessert (could be truffles).
- Lunch: Wheat germ crusted chicken legs, fava bean salad, mustard greens on the side, with cinnamon apple compote.
- Dinner: Roasted duck with raspberry mint sauce, boiled red potatoes, cooked mustard greens, and a dark chocolate dessert.
- Dinner: Ground chicken burgers made with wheat germ, eggs, and carrot pulp from juicing; roasted sweet potato fries, cooked mustard greens, coleslaw salad, and frozen fruit soft serve made without sugar.
More Foods That Make You Happy
Let’s look at a secondary list of foods that will help boost dopamine levels:
• Red meat
• Pumpkin Seeds
More Meal Plans to Make You Happy
Now let’s create four more meal plans for boosting dopamine levels:
- Breakfast: Oat bran with banana, almonds, milk, eggs, and prune juice.
- Lunch: Protein drink with added wheat germ, spirulina, banana, strawberries, and almonds or pumpkin seeds.
- Breakfast: Chicken omelet with beets, avocado, fresh strawberries, and tea.
- Dinner: Salmon with almond flour breading, beets, artichoke dip with carrots and celery, brown rice with pine nuts, and strawberry pudding.
Herb Teas That Make You Happy
And now let’s look at one more list of foods that will help boost dopamine levels:
Teas. Here are five herbs that will do the trick:
• milk thistle
• red clover (not for those on anticoagulants)
Here’s a mini-experiment you could do that could help you determine whether or not you have a lot of control over your moods and your happiness. For one week, eat foods that are high in dopamine. Let these foods make up 75% of your diet. And see how it affects your moods.